Celestron CGX-L 1400 EdgeHD Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope
Introducing the EdgeHD Telescope Series, Celestron’s new flagship telescope line...
Celestron has taken another bold step as the market leader in telescopes with the introduction of their latest series of high-end telescopes. Since the moment Celestron first started producing Schmidt Cassegrain optical systems, they have continued to design high-quality optics with pride. After years of research and development, Celestron has now taken one giant step!
The Edge HD is Celestron’s latest innovation that will surely be the system of choice for the serious astro-imagers. The new Edge High Definition telescope series features an Aplanatic Schmidt optical system that produces pinpoint star images all the way to the edge of the field. Some optical systems currently on the market may produce coma free images. But there is a difference.... the optical difference. Not only is the Celestron Edge coma free, but it also has a built in field flattener to ensure sharp focus all the way to the edge of the field, producing true Astrograph quality images. This results in pinpoint, High Definition star images throughout your astro photograph.
These superior features combined with Celestron's recently introduced CGX-L and CGX mounts make the new Celestron HD series the new gold standard in Astro Imaging. The Edge is an aplanatic Schmidt telescope designed to produce aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma, but also to give an astrograph quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as “astrograph” quality actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with a flat chip sensor of a digital camera. Edge HD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than other competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today.
Now let's talk about Celestron quality...
The Celestron CGX-L Mount is an innovative new design that improves on it's predecessors in every imaginable way. Improved weight capacity, larger dovetail plate, and an all around increase in stability and sturdiness make this a premier heavyweight mount option from Celestron.
Ergonomic Design - The Celestrom CGX-L mount is incredibly ergonomic, from the convenient carrying handles to the easy to use and turn knobs.
Splendid Engineering- This mount boasts drastically reduced backlash and improved stability. Incredibly rigid, this mount also boasts an improved motor system that greatly boosts the provided torque. It's simply superior to it's predecessors in every way.
Innovation - The Celestron CGX-L series boasts internal cabling that utterly bypasses the issue of cable twisting or tangling by letting you route all your own power supply and accessory cables into a convenient port on a part of the mount that moves- from which they enter into the mount, utterly contained, and reach everywhere they need to on the inside without any tangling issues. Neat and clean!
Performance - For objects near the Meridian (imaginary line passing from North to South), the Celestron CGX-L mount will track a full 20 degrees past the Meridian for uninterrupted imaging through the most ideal part of the sky. The CGX-L mount has a robust database with over 40,000 objects, utilizing a top quality Nexstar hand controller.
Celestron's bleeding edge new CGX-L mount is the current pinnacle of German Equatorial Mount Engineering. Boasting a wide range of new and improved features, this mount is simply top quality. It's just plain better than it's competition and predecessors.
Superior mount performance combined with superior edge performance not only creates rounder, more pleasing stars but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. When it comes to the Celestron HD series coupled with Celestron’s StarBright XLT coating group on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum... It's a vision you'll never forget.
Celestron CGX-L 1400 EdgeHD Aplanatic Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescope Features
- New aplanatic Schmidt telescope design produces aberration-free images across a wide field of view
- Mirror tension locks hold the primary mirror in place and reduce image shift
- Cooling vents allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror
- Fastar compatible for fast f/2 imaging
- 11" EdgeHD Optics
- New CGX-L Computerized Equatorial Mount
- Celestron's premium StarBright XLT coatings
- 9x50 finderscope to help accurately find objects
- Ultra sturdy 2.75 steel tripod with Accessory Tray
- Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- 40,000 object database with over 100 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- Polar alignment uses any bright star for a quick and accurate Polar alignment
- Software Features include: Mount Calibration, Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five Alignment Procedures
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number: the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable stars; solar system objects and asterisms
- Permanent Programmable Periodic Error Correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives
- Drive Motors - Low Cog DC Servo motor with integrated optical encoders offer smooth, quiet operation and long life. The motor armatures are skewed to minimize cogging which is required for low speed tracking.
- Internal Cable wiring for trouble-free setup and transportation
- Designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack, ST-4 compatible guide port
- Autoguide port and Auxiliary ports located on the electronic plate for long exposure astrophotography
- Double-line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- RS-232 communication port on hand to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS compatible with optional SkySync GPS Accessory
- Precision machined 40 mm diameter steel Polar shafts supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings.
- Secure power plug ensures that the mount's power source is not accidentally disconnected